Apple released iOS 11.2 which includes new features like Apple Pay Cash and several improvements. However, if you are waiting for an iOS 11 jailbreak and don’t want to miss out the rare opportunity to jailbreak your device, then now is your chance. An iOS 11.1.2 Jailbreak may be releasing soon and it will not work with iOS 11.2. So to maximize the chances of your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch supporting the jailbreak, it should be running iOS 11.1.2. Luckily Apple has not closed the iOS 11.1.2 signing window.
This essentially means you can upgrade to iOS 11.1.2 if you are running any iOS version released before it. You can also downgrade iOS 11.2 to iOS 11.1.2 until the signing window is opened.
In this step by step tutorial we will guide you on how to install or downgrade iOS 11.1.2 on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and prepare for the possible jailbreak release.
- You will be able to downgrade back only to iOS 11.1.2. You cannot downgrade to the previous versions as Apple has stopped signing the older iOS firmware files.
- One of the golden rules of jailbreaking is to stay where you’re and avoid updating your device to the latest iOS software update to improve your chances of jailbreaking your iOS device. So we wouldn’t recommend upgrade to iOS 11.1.2 just yet, if you’re on iOS 11.1.1 or lower.
- Please note that the process involves wiping your device, and then restoring it from a backup, so it can take some time depending on how much data needs to be recovered and your internet connection (if you’re restoring from an iCloud backup).
- Please use this procedure if you have an iCloud or iTunes backup of your device as it involves wiping your device.
- The standard iCloud and iTunes backup will likely be iOS 11.2-based, so it may not restore properly to an iOS 11.1.2 device. So it is important to have the archived backup you made before installing iOS 11 as we had recommended.
Check real-time signing status
To find out if Apple is still signing the firmware file, check this website. Green rows with a tick mean that Apple is still signing the firmware file, and you can downgrade from iOS 11.2 to iOS 11.1.2.
Upgrade or Downgrade to iOS 11.1.2
Step 2: Once the IPSW file has been downloaded connect iOS device to iTunes and then put your iPhone/iPad in DFU mode.
DFU mode instructions: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and Volume Down button (Home Button iPhone 6s or earlier) for 8 seconds. After 8 seconds let go of the sleep button while keeping the Volume Down/Home button pressed. Let go of the button as iTunes says “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode”. Click on Ok button on computer to continue.
Step 3: Now hold the Option/Alt key (Shift key on Windows) and click on the ‘Restore iPhone/iPad’ button. From the window that opens select the iOS 11.1.2 IPSW file you downloaded earlier.
Step 4: Click on ‘Restore and Update’ button and let iTunes downgrade or upgrade your device to iOS 11.1.2.
That’s it. Your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch should now be successfully downgraded from iOS 11.2 to iOS 11.1.2.
If you get the error message “This device isn’t eligible for the requested build” then it is probably because you’ve downloaded the wrong firmware file for your device.
Please don’t forget to let us know how it goes in the comments and drop us a line if you any questions or need any help.