Coolstar continues to make improvements to his Electra jailbreak toolkit for iOS 11 – iOS 11.1.2, CoolStar pushed beta 9 of the iOS 11.0-11.1.2 jailbreak tool on Saturday with a slew of additional bug fixes and performance improvements.
Just like the LiberiOS tool that launched last year, Electra utilizes Ian Beer’s open-source tfp0 exploit to jailbreak supported devices. Notably, it doesn’t install Cydia because Saurik hasn’t updated it for iOS 11 just yet. Instead, users need to resort to SSH for installing extensions.
Citing the official Electra website, beta 9 brings the following fixes and improvements:
- Sandbox is now working on the first launch of apps and daemons (stek29)
- Remove 0.5 second delay when launching apps or daemons that was present since beta 1 (coolstar)
- Check if a new beta is available when Electra is launched
- Double-launch workaround has been removed since it’s no longer needed, fixing all bugs introduced on beta 8
- Remove AnemoneFonts.dylib as it was causing problems
- Important Note: If you are upgrading from beta 8-2 or lower to any beta 9 or higher, you will need to reinstall all tweaks and themes
Plenty of people have purportedly used Electra to jailbreak their iOS 11.0-11.1.2 devices without any problems. On the other hand, we recommend holding off just a little bit longer until Saurik updates critical jailbreak utilities like Cydia and Mobile Substrate to work with the newer operating system. Anyone who moves forward does so at their own risk with no warranty expressed or implied.
Another thing worth noting is that Electra relies on an implementation of jailbreakd, which is something Saurik aims to move away from in Mobile Substrate for iOS 11. As he indicated in one of his Reddit comments, Mobile Substrate for iOS 11 will utilize an entirely-new dyld-hooking mechanism that’s both more efficient and stable.
It’s unclear at this point in time whether Electra will support Saurik’s new implementation of Mobile Substrate when it comes out, but we should obtain a better understanding of the situation once Saurik apprises the community in the near future.