Apple has released iOS 12 developer beta 3 and it is now available for download. The new beta mostly brings bug fixes and performance improvements to the devices running it. If you are a developer who is running iOS 12 beta on his or her iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, then head over to Settings app to download the update. For those trying the beta for the first time, iOS 12 beta configuration profiles can be downloaded from the developer center.
With beta 3 Apple has introduced a number of changes to iOS 12 such as a redesigned Voice Memos app for iPad, a tweaked FaceTime effect picker, a new animation for clearing all notifications, changes to Watch app’s Face Gallery and ability to swipe on notifications to clear them (just like you can on iOS 11).
iOS 12 beta 3
- Clear All swipe action for Lock screen notifications
- An overhauled FaceTime picker
- Voice Memos has a redesigned iPad interface
- Apple Maps shows richer, more detailed maps in the San Francisco Bay Area. This fresh look is expected to be extended elsewhere prior to the official release of iOS 12.
- Location sharing details have been moved from the Privacy section in the Settings app to a location in a user’s profile, next to iCloud settings.
- Apple Watch app now includes only the Siri face as a new watch face.
From the release notes:
- [NEW] To improve security, iOS 12 beta may require you unlock your passcode-protected iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in order to connect it to a Mac, PC, or USB accessory.
- [NEW] If you use iPod Accessory Protocol (iAP) USB accessories over the Lightning connector (such as CarPlay, assistive devices, charging accessories, or storage carts) or you connect to a Mac or PC you might need to unlock your device to recognize the accessory. If you don’t unlock your device, it won’t communicate with the accessory or computer, and it won’t charge. Note that you don’t need to unlock your device to charge using an Apple USB power adapter.
- [RESOLVED] Weather widget fixed from Beta 2.
- [RESOLVED] Updating to iOS 12 beta through iTunes is resolved
- [RESOLVED] Skype/ Taobao/Twitter issues fixed
- [RESOLVED] Playback might not pause when only one of the AirPods is removed from your ears.
- [RESOLVED] SMS and Phone Call spam classification extensions don’t load and display a black screen
- [RESOLVED] FaceTime might unexpectedly quit on launch.
- [RESOLVED] If a user attempts to enable a SIM PIN the iOS device will lose cellular service.
- [RESOLVED] Voicemail notifications might be inconsistent and not appear when the device is locked.
- [RESOLVED] When Siri’s language is set to Chinese, Japanese, or Korean it isn’t possible to set up “Hey Siri”.
- [BUG] GPS works fine in Apple Maps but is wonky in Google Maps (presumably in other third-party apps as well)
- [BUG] Use only numbers when creating a Screen Time passcode or it might become impossible to enter the passcode
- [BUG] Fortnite might quit unexpectedly
- [BUG] Netflix might unexpectedly quit when downloading a video
- [BUG] Screen Time data might not synchronize across iOS devices.
- [BUG] “Picked Up Phone” statistics might be inflated due to data syncing from other devices signed into the same iCloud account.
- [BUG] When searching via Spotlight, internet results might unexpectedly be ranked higher than local results.
- [BUG] Voice Memos don’t sync to iTunes.
- [BUG] Wallet might unexpectedly quit on launch.
iOS 12, which is a major iOS release brings a bunch of new features to iOS devices such as Screen Time, improved Do Not Disturb mode, Siri Shortcuts, ARKit 2.0, intelligent features for Photos app, updated Stocks, news and Apple Books apps, group FaceTime video calls, Memoji and new Animoji for iPhone X, Better notification management and more.
Alongside iOS 12 beta, developer beta 3s for watchOS 5 and tvOS 12 have also been released.