Apple today seeded the first beta of iOS 10.3 to developers, marking the third major update to the iOS 10 operating system that was released in September. The first iOS 10.3 beta comes more than a month after the release of iOS 10.2.
As a 10.x update, iOS 10.3 likely brings bug fixes, performance improvements, and new features to iOS 10. While we won’t know what’s in the update until developers begin discovering changes, it is rumored to include a new “Theatre” mode with a “popcorn-shaped” icon in the Control Center.
What’s new in iOS 10.3:
– There’s a new “Find My AirPods” tool to help users locate lost AirPods.
– SiriKit can be used to pay bills, check on the status of payments, and schedule future rides.
– The weather icon in the Maps app includes 3D Touch to show hourly forecasts.
– CarPlay includes new shortcuts for launching recently used apps.
– CarPlay’s Maps now features EV charging station locations.
– HomeKit supports programmable light switches.
– Conversation View in the Mail app features navigation improvements.
– When installing iOS 10.3, it will update the file system to Apple File System (APFS), so it’s important to make a backup before updating.
iOS 10.3 beta 1 (build 14E5230e) is available to registered developers who are members of Apple Developer Program. A version of the software aimed at public beta testers registered with Apple Beta Software Program is expected shortly.